“Departmentalization – again any structural solution that does not ask, ‘How would we become more efficient and effective in our teaching’ first is likely to fail. Where are the trials of this new method before you venture forth with the method? I would worry if it is just a re-organization without asking about how the nature of teaching and learning would be enhanced? And be terrified if there was no evaluation plan to evaluate the departmentalization before it started – that would be used to convince the staff (and students to stay with it” (John Hattie, personal communication, February 24, 2019).
Articles in this section
- What is the difference between transformational and instructional leaders?
- What can a school leader do to shift the mind set of teachers and parents and make a difference?
- Why are some of the other school variables such as policies, buildings, school size, and curriculum ruled out in the Visible Learning research?
- An increasing number of parents request delayed start for Kindergarten. The belief is this will give them a “boost” over their classmates. The research I have found does not suggest this is true but I wondered if your research had any further information?
- My elementary school is contemplating departmentalization. Is departmentalization simply team teaching?
- What are your thoughts on innovative learning spaces?
- What does the research say about what effective principals do when they walk through classrooms? Is there a resource you can refer us to?
- What is the evidence for the 1.57 effect size for collective teacher efficacy?
- My school shortened the school day but is now getting push-back from parents. Do you have anything to help in the discussion with parents regarding the length of the school day?
- If there is any other research that you feel might be useful for parents like myself who are trying to make a decision about primary school education, I would greatly appreciate your recommendation. As a parent, choosing a school is challenging!